Meet Our Board of Directors
During the first and second World Wars, people in Canada, the U.S.A., Great Britain, France and Germany would use public spaces and their own yards to grow food. These were known as Victory Gardens and contributed to the war effort and instilled an important sense of community when the world needed it most.
The seeds of Hamilton Victory Gardens were planted in 2011, the vision of Hamilton residents Bill and Judy Wilcox. They believed that the dozens of empty city lots lying unused in our city could become sustainable sources of food in a community where too many go hungry or do not have the proper nutritious food supply.
In partnership with Good Shepherd, the first Victory Garden was built on Catherine Street North in the spring of 2011. The idea resonated with dozens of volunteers, students, and neighbours who helped to grow and harvest 2,200 pounds of produce for local food banks and meal programs that year.
The simple act of one couple extending an unconditional hand of friendship has grown into a dedicated group of volunteers that have been able to harvest over 230,000 pounds of fresh produce for local food banks and hot meal programs in the past 8 years.
As of January, 2020, Hamilton Victory Gardens has grown to a total of 12 garden sites and 661 raised beds (equivalent size of 4 ft. by 16 ft.). The 1000’s of pounds of fresh produce harvested each year are donated to local food banks and food programs including Good Shepherd, Mission Services, Neighbour-to-Neighbour, The King’s Way Outreach, Dream Center and Living Rock.
SPONSORS AND DONORS
We would like to take the opportunity to thank some of our sponsors who, without their on-going support, we would not be a success in our mission to #FEEDHAMILTON! Thank you!
Hamilton Victory Gardens
P.O. Box 37046 Cannon Street E.
Charitable Reg. No. 82694 5883 RR0001